Asphalt roofing has become one of the most popular materials for Orlando roofers to use for a wide variety of reasons—it is affordable, it comes in a variety of colors and styles, and it is very easy to maintain over time. It may not have the longest warranty of any roofing material, but with proper maintenance, an asphalt roof can last for many years or even decades and can be a great investment for your home.
Here are some tips for keeping your asphalt roof in good shape for many years to come:
1. Make inspections a priority – you should schedule inspections for at least once a year, but twice a year is even better. The specific timing of your inspections should be based on seasonal weather patterns and a good time that is easy for you to remember each year. If you’re not comfortable doing the inspections yourself, you can always hire professional Orlando roofers to help. Check for loose or missing shingles, signs of rust on flashings, and debris on the bridge that could harbor moisture and lead to shingle damage.
2. Clean out gutters and downspouts – gutters and downspouts are the primary path for water to drain properly from your roof away from the home, so they should be free of debris. If they are not clean, water build-up could lead to overflow and excess water at the foundation of your home, which could lead to flooding or even structural home damage.
3. Check for potential debris sources around the home – inspect your yard for trees, branches, power lines, and other sources of potential debris on your roofing in Orlando. If there are trees, vines, ivy, or other things that hang over your roof or come close to the shingles, consider trimming them back to avoid branches or other things falling on your asphalt shingles.
4. Use only proper chemicals and tools to clean asphalt shingles – if you want to clean your shingles, be sure to consult your roofing manufacturer’s instructions to make sure you use the proper chemicals and tools to avoid damaging the shingles. If you’re not sure, and don’t want to cause damage, consider hiring Orlando roofing professionals to help you clean it properly.
5. Check the roof from below as well – schedule regular inspections of the roof from the underneath (through your attic) to detect any potential leaks. Repairing leaks early can save your asphalt shingles in the long run.
An asphalt roof can provide an affordable and beautiful roof for many years to come. With proper maintenance by Orlando roofers, it can last even longer and continue protecting your most valuable asset.