Our Facebook post last week raised a few questions with some prospective roof replacement clients and current customers so we thought we’d address it in our blog. In case you missed it, we pointed out that many homes in the area were built with three tab shingles. Most three tab shingles have a twenty year warranty but rarely last that long. Not only do they not last, the warranty itself doesn’t guarantee the shingle will last however many years, but instead, the warranty is against manufacturer defects for that period of time.
What Impacts a Shingle’s Life?
Many things impact the life of an asphalt shingle, especially in Florida. Among the most obvious is the hot sun. Other influencing factors in the life of your shingle roof are:
- The color of the shingle – the darker and the more sun it receives, the faster it breaks down.
- Pitch of your roof – the less angled your roof, the more direct impact the weather has on it.
- Layers of roofing material – if the roof was already replaced and the original roof wasn’t torn off, the lifespan is negatively impacted.
- Environment – very active weather over time can speed the deterioration of the roof as can tree and palm branches rubbing against the roof.
- Maintenance – when you have regular roofing maintenance performed, your entire roof system last longer.
- Installation company – if the company who installed the shingles originally followed manufacturer recommendations the roof will last longer than one where poor installation practices were used.
- Attic ventilation – your attic needs to release heat and when there isn’t enough ventilation, the entire roofing system is negatively impacted.
How to Get the Most out of Your Roof Replacement
If the time has come for a roof replacement, you want to get as much out of your investment as possible. First, hire only a licensed and insured roofing contractor. Next, if you have a particular brand you’re interested in, make sure that roofer is certified or trained by the manufacturer. In some cases warranties aren’t honored when a roofer who shouldn’t be installing a brand of roofing installs it. Make sure the roofing company you’re considering has their own installation warranty or guarantee. Of course, it’s always a good idea to check with the BBB and other sources that give you an idea of the reputation of the roofing company.
As you start your process, know that Russ Noyes Roofing is licensed and insured. We only install products that we can honor the warranties on. You’ll find that we offer not just one guarantee but many and that we have an excellent reputation in the community. If it’s time for a roof replacement or you’re needing maintenance, let us help. Call 407-388-0077 today to schedule your no obligation estimate.